2018 Jazz Clinic Audition Material
- As in the past, each student (except drums/percussion) will perform two (2) prepared pieces, plus sight-reading, plus improv. Please note, the bass trombone has two bass bone specific etudes this year.
- IMPROV: F Blues (from Jamey Aebersold Vol. 42 “Blues in All Keys” – track 8). Each student will listen to one (1) chorus and play for two (2) choruses
- DRUMSET: Will perform two (2) prepared pieces, plus sight-reading, plus styles (in place of improv). The styles are to be performed as follows:
8 bars of swing @ 220
8 bars of funk/rock @ 100
8 bars of samba @ 120
- AUX PERCUSSION: Involves Vibes and Congas. Students will perform two (2) prepared pieces on Vibes, as well as (1) prepared piece on Congas. Each student will sight-read on Vibes and Congas. Improv will take place on Vibes.
- Jamey Simmons, Director of Jazz Studies at MTSU, and Joe Davidian, jazz piano instructor at MTSU, have provided the following informative videos to assist our students as they prepare the F Blues for their regional and All-State jazz auditions.
F Blues Improvisation Tips
aEBERSOLD Vol.42, f blues